Note: A topic with no bullets following indicates that there is nothing of this type available or that if it does exist no information is available. Email the Guide. if you have any related information. Check nearby locations for the services you seek.
Explorer Chart: CAT-1, CAT-3, CAT-7
- New Bight International Airport; 3100'. 24º18'.9N, 75º27.3'W
- Air Sunshine;800-435-8900; 954-434-8900. Charter service; Ft. Lauderdale.
- Bahamasair; 242-377-5505; 800-222-4262. Service to Nassau.
- Continental Gulf Stream; 242-342-2105; 800-231-0856; 800-525-0280. Service to Ft. Lauderdale.
- Cat Island Air; 242-342-2125. Service to Nassau.
- Civil Aviation Department / Airport; 242-342-2212.
- LeAir; 242-377-2356.
- Lynx Air International; 242-342-2105; 888-596-9247. Service to Ft. Lauderdale.
- Sky Unlimited; 242-377-8993. Charters from Nassau.
- Southern Air; 242-377-2014 / 2107. Service to Nassau.
- Good anchorage in sand and 10'+ off of Batelco tower and government pier.
- Bahamas Area Websites. Sites that can be searched for tourist and business information throughout the Bahamas.
- Olive King; 242-342-3134. Bakery N of government offices.
- Bank of the Bahamas International; 242-342-2230. Knowles.
- New Bight Food Market & Liquor Store; 242-342-3011.
- Two Corner Liquor Store; 242-342-3169.
Boat Rental / Charter
BTC / Batelco Office
- 242-342-3060. Fax: 242-342-3064.
- 3J's & S's; 242-342-4010 / 4107.
- Gilbert's Inn & Car Rental; 242-342-3011. Located at New Bight Food Market; will deliver car to pier at Smith Bay or New Bight.
- Laramore Crawford; 242-342-3107.
- New Bight Car Rental; 242-342-3014.
- Newbold's Car Rental; 242-342-5041.
- There is good cell phone service throughout the area.
- Catholic. This is the last church build by Father Jerome.
- Church of God.
Customs & Immigration
- 242-342-2016. Officers are based at Smith Bay and the airport. Call to arrange clearance at Smith Bay.
- Government jetty near Batelco Tower and adjacent beach. March 2012: pier was damaged by Irene and there is to place to tie up a dinghy.
- Mailboat; 242-393-1064. Weekly service to Nassau.
- New Bight Service Station; 242-342-3014; VHF-Ch-16. Contact for delivery to Smith Bay dock. Located 0.2 mi. N of Batelco tower.
Government / Administrator
- Civil Aviation Department; 242-342-2212. New Bight.
- Department of Local Government; 242-342-3031 / 3180. Office complex in yellow building located across the street from government jetty.
- Friendly Proprietor Sodas.
- L'Sanchea's Convenience Store. Near New Bight Service Station.
- New Bight Food Market; 242-342-3011. Located 0.5 mi N of Batelo tower it is well stocked and has some hardware and office supplies. Note, to reach from the anchorage, a dinghy can be beached on the N shore near the prominent pink buildings (a closed restaurant); follow the road out to the main road and the store.
- Fresh local produce is available; ask about.
- MLR Hardware & Building Supplies; 242-342-2122. Located N of Batelco tower.
Internet & WiFi
- Bridge Inn; 242-342-3013; email@example.com. Apartments at Fountain Bay.
- Gilbert's Inn & Car Rental; 242-342-3011.
Marina & Dockage
Marine Supplies & Parts
Marine Services & Repairs
- New Bight Service Station; 242-342-3014; VHF-Ch-16. Mechanic.
- Government clinic; 242=342-3026. Smith Bay.
- Government clinic; 242-432-4049. Old Bight.
Packages & Shipping
- Barber Shop ETC; 242-342-3258.
- 242-342-3039. Located in government complex. Ask for local information.
- 242-342-3198. PO located in government complex.
- Weekly mailboat to Smith Bay.
- New Bight Service Station; 242-342-3014; VHF-Ch-16.
- Twin Palm Beach Resort; 242-342-3108.
- Blue Bird Club; 242-342-3095. On the beach just S of government jetty. it is operated by sisters who serve out home-style food. Open M - Sat for lunch and dinner. [Ask for their special of the day. Delish!]
- Bridge Inn; 242-342-3013; firstname.lastname@example.org. New Bight.
- DDD Restaurant & Bar; 242-342-2204. Bahamian cooking; try their dish of the day.
- New Bight Sailing Club; 242-342-3054. Beachside entertainment.
- Charmaine's Variety Fashions; 242-342-3004.
- Gina's Gift Shop. Carries office supplies.
- Irene's Straw.
- Iva's Jewelry & Straw.
Snorkeling & Scuba Diving
- C&O Taxi & Tour Services (Taxi 6); 242-342-3134; 242-464-6181; 242-464-6778; email@example.com.
- Taxi available at government jetty; VHF Ch-16.
- Taxi !; 242-464-6388.
- Cat Island Sailing Club; 242-342-3142.
- Church Ruins located S of New Bight Service Station.
- Henry Armbrister Great House Ruins. The stone remains of a plantation manor house and out buildings just W of the government complex.
- The Hermitage. Built on the highest point in the islands this one-man scale monastery was build by Father Jerome as his retirement home. It is a short walk and climb from the anchorage. A magical experience - not to be missed.
- Holy Redeemer Catholic Church. Church built by Father Jerome.
- The Bight: The Bahamas Met Office reports that Hight Tide = Nassau - 29 min.; Low Tide = Nassau - 23 min.
- Trash bins are located near government complex.
- Check at police station for sources of potable water.
- Marine Weather Center; Daily SSB, webcast, & email forecasts by Chris Parker. Note: Best reception in this area is usually on 4045 KHz USB Simplex at 0630 AST.
- Bahamas Met Office website provides weather forecast for local areas throughout the Bahamas.
Updated: 31 Jan 12
Topics: 13 Jan 12