Lying at the S end of Great Exuma, Little Exuma is connected via a bridge to its lager neighbor. It is the home of the small settlements of The Ferry and Williams Town. There are minimal facilities and services available to cruisers but a meal at Santana's Grill Pit makes a visit worthwhile.
Settlements: The Ferry, Williams Town
Updated: 19 February 2015
Explorer Chart: EX-31, EX-32
- It is possible to anchor offshore of Santana's Grill Pit to go ashore for a meal in settled weather as it open to the E.
- Bahamas Area Websites. Sites that can be searched for tourist and business information throughout the Bahamas.
- Exumas Visitors Guide. An free guide booklet available at many local businesses. It provides a good directory of services and attractions throughout the Exumas.
- Mom's Bakery. Located in Williams Town next to Santana's Grill Pit is the source of great baked goods. Santana's offers some bread and cakes for sale when Mom's is not open for retail.
Boat Rental / Charter
BTC / Batelco Office
Cell Phone Service
- There is a BTC tower at Williams Town on the S end of the island and several cell towers along the road S from George Town so cell phone service is very good.
Customs & Immigration
- Report whale sightings to BMMRO! Bahamas Marine Mammal Research Organization; 242-366-4155; 242-357-6666; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See: Environment & Ecology for Cruisers
Golf Cart / Scooter Rental
Government / Administrator
Groceries & Produce
Hardware & Lumber
Internet & WiFi
Marina & Dockage
Marine Supplies & Parts
Marine Services & Repairs
Medical / Clinic / Pharmacy
Packages & Shipping
Post Office / Mail
Restaurant & Bar
- Santana's Grill Pit; 242-345-4102. A beachside restaurant located in Williams Town that is worth the trip S. Their specialties are fresh lobster and fish. In February 2011, I stopped for lunch with three friends. We had the fried lobster special: 2 lobster tails, peas & rice, slaw, sauteed onions. It was hard to believe the lobster was fried because it was so light tasting. The four of us agreed this was the best meal we had ever eaten in the Bahamas! Cruisers headed to Long Island from George Town pass by just off shore. In settled weather it should be possible to anchor offshore and take the dinghy in for a great meal.
Fried Lobster Special.
Santana's Grill Pit.
Gino and Aleese
- Tropic Breeze Beach Bar and Grille; 242-345-4100. A new restaurant in 2014, located in Gun Hill Bay, Williams Town, just N of the Tuscan Column Monument. Owner and Chef is Khriston Turnquest a Le Cordon Bleu graduate. Delicious cuisine with a flare served on the decks overlooking Exuma Sound.
Retail Therapy - Shopping
Snorkeling & Scuba Diving
Things to See & Do
- Bahamas Heritage site; Hermitage Plantation tomb and ruins is located just N of the local school.
Bahamas Heritage site; Tuscan Column, a beacon landmark erected to guide the salt carriers that transported the product from the local salt ponds in the 1700s.
- Standard Bahamas VHF Protocol: Ch-16 is for marine emergencies, safety, and hailing. It is also used by local Bahamian shore facilities for hailing. Communication traffic must be shifted to another channel.
- Marine Weather Center; Daily SSB, webcast, & email forecasts by Chris Parker. Note: Best reception in this area is usually on 4045 KHz USB Simplex at 0630 AST.
- Bahamas Met Office website provides weather forecast for local areas throughout the Bahamas.
Topics: 19 Jan 12