Sandy and Twin Cays are two small uninhabited cays NW of Big Majors Spot and Staniel Cay. They are at the apex of a triangular sandy and rocky bar streaming W from the larger cays. They are a favorite hangout for superyachts visiting the area because of the good anchoring depths that have some protection in the lee of the small cays during strong E winds.
Updated: 2 March 2017
Explorer Chart: EX-22, EX-23
- There is a private airstrip Staniel Cay.
- There is air service available at Staniel Cay.
- The W side of the small cays are favorite anchorages for super-yachts as they offer good holding at depths of >15'.
- There are sandy beaches on the E side of Sandy Cay.
Bank & ATM
BTC / Batelco Office
Cell Phone Service
Customs & Immigration
- There is a pier on Twin Cay but the facilities are under construction. (March 2017)
Golf Cart / Scooter Rental
Government / Administrator
Groceries & Produce
Hardware & Lumber
- Construction of the Twin Cays Restaurant and Bar began in 2016.
Internet & WiFi
Local Artists & Writers
Marina & Dockage
Marine Supplies & Parts
Marine Services & Repairs
Medical / Clinic / Pharmacy
Packages & Shipping
Post Office / Mail
- It appears that the Twin Cays Restaurant and Bar is aiming at becoming a resort of sorts for the large private and charter yachts that ply the Exumas.
- Construction of the Twin Cays Restaurant and Bar began in 2016 and is scheduled to open about August 2017.
- See Staniel Cay and Fowl Cay pages for information about more area restaurants.
Retail Therapy - Shopping
Snorkeling & Scuba Diving
Things to See & Do
- There is no provision for trash disposal. Take it with you.
- Standard Bahamas VHF Protocol: Ch-16 is for marine emergencies, safety, and hailing. It is also used by local Bahamian shore facilities for hailing. Communication traffic must be shifted to another channel.
- The closest source of potable water is at Staniel Cay.
- Marine Weather Center; Daily SSB, webcast, & email forecasts by Chris Parker. Note: Best reception in this area is usually on 4045 KHz USB Simplex at 0630 AST.
- Bahamas Met Office website provides weather forecast for local areas throughout the Bahamas.
- "Blue Yonder" (C6AGJ) based at her home or MV Emerald at Staniel Cay, when on the island, broadcasts a weather summery from multiple sources at 0815 - 0830 on VHF Ch-12; an announcement is made on VHF Ch-16 first. The service is provided during the period of late November to May.
- Staniel Cay Yacht Club. Provides copies of weather summaries on bulletin board in the bar.