Barraterre is located N of the NW tip of Great Exuma Island. It is surrounded by shallows of < 6’. See Explorer charts for approaches.
Explorer Chart: EX-27, EX-27A
- George Town International Airport;Great Exuma.
- Air service is available through George Town International Airport.
- There is taxi service available to the airport.
- E of mailboat dock, <6'.
- Bahamas Area Websites. Sites that can be searched for tourist and business information throughout the Bahamas.
- Exumas Visitors Guide. An free guide booklet available at many local businesses. It provides a good directory of services and attractions throughout the Exumas.
Bank & ATM
Boat Rental / Charter
BTC / Batelco Office
- 242-355-5060; Fax: 242-355-5063.
- Exuma Jeep Rental; 242-355-5099.
- There is a BTC tower in the settlement.
- Ebenezer Baptist Church
Customs & Immigration
- Government pier / mailboat dock (rickety).
- Nearby private dock.
- McKenzie's Shell station.
- Report whale sightings to BMMRO! Bahamas Marine Mammal Research Organization; 242-366-4155; 242-357-6666; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See: Environment & Ecology for Cruisers.
- Bonefishing guide: Bonefish Reno; 242-345-5014; 242-524-4215; email@example.com. Rolle Town. Full and half-day excursions. Tackle & transportation can be provided.
- McKenzie’s Shell. Gasoline only.
Government / Administrator
Groceries & Produce
- Ray Ann’s Variety Store. Modest canned goods drinks, ice cream, household items selection.
- Local produce is available from Ray Ann’s Variety Store, McKenzie’s Store, Valerie Taylor.
- Williams Farm. Fresh vegetables grown in Barraterre.
- Barraterre Bonefish Lodge.
- Fisherman’s Inn.
- Ray Ann’s Variety Store.
- Barraterre Bonefish Lodge; 242-355-5052.
- Fisherman’s Inn; 242-355-5017.
Marina & Dockage
Marine Supplies & Parts
Marine Services & Repairs
Medical / Clinic / Pharmacy
- Government clinic. There is a nurse on staff.
- Clinic at Stevenson. There is a doctor on staff. Access is by taxi.
Packages & Shipping
- 242-345-6066. Rolleville.
- Weekly mailboat.
Restaurant & Bar
- Barraterre Bonefish Lodge
- Fisherman’s Inn; Norman Lloyd; 242-355-5017.
- McKenzie’s Same Ole Place; 242-355-5050.
- Note: contact restaurants on VHF Ch-16 for reservations and hours of operation.
- Ray Ann’s Variety Store.
- McKenzie’s Store.
Snorkeling & Scuba Diving
- Taxi service is available to George Town International Airport.
- Norman Lloyd
- Alfred McKenzie
- Kayaking: Barraterre Bonefish Lodge.
- Bonefishing: Barraterre Bonefish Lodge.
- The local boat yard is a mecca for C Class racing sloops. There are an amazing number of these racing boats for such a small settlement.
A C Class Sloop at the local boat yard.
- There are trash bins in town.
- There is no local veterinarian.
- Dr. Issah Hanson from the Bahamas Humane Society in Nassau visits George Town approximately every 3 weeks. Supplies for heart worm, flea and tick preventions, etc. may be purchased in between visits. To schedule an appointment or purchase meds, please call 242-524-2390 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bahamas Humane Society; Nassau; 242-524-2390; email@example.com
- Standard Bahamas VHF Protocol: Ch-16 is for marine emergencies, safety, and hailing. It is also used by local Bahamian shore facilities for hailing. Communication traffic must be shifted to another channel.
- There is well or rain water available from Norman Lloyd or Alfred McKenzie.
- Marine Weather Center; Daily SSB, webcast, & email forecasts by Chris Parker. Note: Best reception in this area is usually on 4045 KHz USB Simplex at 0630 AST.
- Bahamas Met Office website provides weather forecast for local areas throughout the Bahamas.
Updated:31 Jan 13
Topics: 19 Jan 12